Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Law Enforcement?

I have a question about law enforcement. Now this goes to both police officers and state troopers,\. My question is, what is the starting annual salary of a police officer/state trooper. Please tell me the things that you had to go through to become a police officer/trooper. Do you regret getting into either one? 1 last question, because of my religion, and heritageI'm half asian and black, I cannot cut my hair, I am able to have it braided as in corn rolls, nice and neat even though I'm not "permitted" to, will that be a problem. Please only police officers or state troopers answer. Thanks.



Law Enforcement?

I will tell you what it is like in the State of WI where we have the most strenuous training program for law enforcement officers. In this area, we start at around 45,000 plus overttime as well as great benifits. In the scheme of things, it is allot more than that.



Not only did I have to go to college for 4 years to get the degree, we also had to go through an academy where we had firearms, EVOC(learn to drive squad cars evasively), DAAT(gets your butt in shape and learn how to arrest people etc.), first responder and that is all I can think of off the top of my head.



I don't regret being a police officer but your job will be your life. You won't be home hollidays and we don't close on the weekend. If you are willing to do allot of sacrifice, it is a great job.



The issue with your hair, I don't think will be a big deal as long as you keep it nicely groomed. I am not for certain on the last question though.



Good luck!



Law Enforcement?

Annual salaries vary by state. Here in Ohio, average start is anywhere from $40k to $50k. I had to go through the academy, 6 months long. I don't regret anything, I love this job. I don't see what your race has to do with anything. As for your religious convictions relating to your hair, you cannot be discriminated against. There are officers that wear turbans and yamikas.



Law Enforcement?

Not a police officer myself, but have lived with one for most of my life (first my dad, then my boyfriend). Salary is going to vary by state and by cities, towns, etc. You may want to google the specific areas you are looking for to find out what salary and various requirements (including educational) that are required. The more affluent the area, the higher the salary typically is - but at the same time to petty bullsh*t factor increases (my boyfriend is a cop in a rather affluent township and some of the crap they get called for is absolutely ridiculous).



Question though - what religion are you that you cannot cut your hair? While certainly religious beliefs are taken into consideration for many things, I know most departments go for a cleancut look, meaning short, neat haircuts for males. Cornrows will not look professional on a cop.



Law Enforcement?

Pay varies state to state. In Georgia it starts at 28K. Other PDs and SOs vary also from 22K to 28K.



I had to wait four months while background checks, polygraphs, fingerprint checks, drug testing, and psychological tests were run and I didn't get paid for any of it (at least they paid for the testing.) I had to get a temporary job until I heard from them. Once you are hired the first thing you go through is hours of training in all aspects of your job. Mine was for working in the jail. Troopers automatically go to a military bootcamp style four month academy.



As for regrets, I got out of law enforcement because my body wasn't keeping up with my enthusiasm for the job and the fact that more and more admin and higher ups weren't ever cops and keep telling you how to do your job differently even though they have no idea what they are talking about. Lastly, I got out because I wasn't allowed to enforce the laws equally. I kept getting updates about who and where I shouldn't patrol or make traffic stops. That smelled of favors, kick backs and corruption and I wasn't going to be involved.



As for your religion, you need to make a decision. Some departments will allow your hair style, but some will give you a choice: Comply with the uniform SOP or find another job. Since you will be starting the job instead of them adopting a new procedure after you have been hired you will have no recourse under EOE or civil rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment