Thursday, October 8, 2009

I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I am Half Japanese, one quarter Irish, and one quarter French. I was raised by my father (Japanese) in a mostly Asian community in southern Louisiana, and I have always identified myself (culturally) as Japanese. I look mostly Japanese -- angled brown eyes, yellowish skin tone, straight black hair, etc. -- but I do have noticeable eyelid creases and a prominent nasal bridge. As such, I am more often than not pegged as caucasian by onlookers -- understandably, this irritates me to no end. A friend once suggested that I get plastic surgery to minimize the problematic traits, and I am seriously considering it (once I get old enough). It doesn't conflict with any of my personal morals, nor do I feel that it means that I am ashamed of my parentage . . . I know that genetically I am half caucasian, I just don't feel that it has played into my culturally upbringing.



So here is the problem: should I consider the surgery, or should I just learn to bear with the genetic hand I was dealt?



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

How OTHERS view you is not the issue. How YOU view yourself is VERY much the issue. You sound as if you are strikingly attractive young woman who has three wonderful heritages to be proud of...what a blessing that your physical characterisitcs show all three!



IMHO there is no need for surgery....I would suggest you get to know more about your 'quarters' so you can develop pride in them too.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I say learn to love who you are.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I remeber this japanese girl in high school-- every guy wanted a ......well you know what I mean.



anyway, there is a well known surgeon in NY that I know of. he could do it with no problem.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I wouldn't do the surgery, I think you would regret it. Just be who you are - who cares what people think when they see you!!



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I think you sound very pretty, as weird as that may sound coming from a girl. You don't need surgery, you just need a self esteem boost. Those traits you mentioned are not problematic, they just make you more unique and more you.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

You are half Caucasian. That is who you are. You sound beautiful to me. Are you ashamed to not appear Asian? Or is it that you think of yourself as Asian, and feel betrayed that you don't look as Asian as you feel?



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

Do not get the surgery. Be proud of who you are. So many people are getting surgery just because they are ashamed of certain traits. For whatever reasons you have chosen to possibly eliminate the problem traits, you are who you are. So be proud my friend.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

No, in my opinion. You should love and appreciate your heritage and learn to feel comfortable in your own skin. Don't do anything - especially something so major - to fit in. If people don't like you, don't bother being friends with people who can't appreciate the true you.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

You are probably really wonderful just as you are - don't change a thing, OK?



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

im 100% south-asian, i lived in a black neighboorhood all my life, but i didnt come out alot cause i was too afraid to get shot (no really lol). I grew up on 7th heavan, and white tv shows, therefore i "act" white, hate rap and love rock and pop. I hate my own people. I was an outcast in highschool hanging out with only other white acting black kids, (neva got beat up though suprisingly). i dont like my own people. i came out top of my highschool and got scholarships to a prestigeous ivyleague school. Now im sorrounded by white people who i find extremly intimadating but thats just cause im socially awkward. And now im back to square one and im still as bias as ever.



So if ur confused, im strait disoriented



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I'd skip any cosmetic surgery. You're not disfigured. Who cares if people think you're a Caucasian (or anything else)? As for your genes, you're under no obligation to play up one heritage over another just because you inherited it. If you feel more Japanese than non-Japanese, that's fine.



Also, if you go to a large city like New York or Los Angeles, you'll find all sorts of people half this and half that. Twenty or thirty years ago it was unusual, but now it's so common that it doesn't stand out. People will know and remember you for who you are, not your genetic background



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

Why are you angry if you are pegged as caucasian? You ARE caucasian. Get over it and be who you are, an AMERICAN. Believe me when I tell you that nobody else cares.You got better things to worry about than the traits of your face. It's narcissism, plain and simple. Be humble, serve the Lord, our God, and don't change anything about you that HE gave to you. HE gave you just enough, not more or less than you need.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

Honey, only YOU can answer that. I would say NO, be exactly how you are...ofcourse I do want a boob job.



All I can say is if you do do it, RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH...start NOW!!!



And who knows, by the time you're ready to do it, you may not want to but if you do, you'll be armed with the best information.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

I think you should learn to love yourself. People always going to talk about something that is different to them. I am black and people tell me that I look Spanish-looking. I am in a way, but both of my parents are black so I consider myself BLACK. Now for you, you are a little mixed up but not in a bad way. You are on this planet the way you are for a reason.



Stop looking at yourself physically. Look at yourself as a person--what makes you so special like, for instance, your talents. Do you sing, write poetry, dance, paint, draw, or possess a special talent? Can you totally ace tests? Are you a friendly person or like-able?



Anyone that suggests you to have surgery, is not your friend. There are tons of people out there that will accept you, for YOU.



Cheers,



Zan ;-)



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

Since you say you aren't old enough to get the surgery yet, I'd guess you're a teenager. You're at one of the most awkward and difficult ages in life because it's the first time you have to try to define who you are as an individual. A lot of what you're experiencing is teen angst. If it weren't your ethnic background causing you trouble, it would likely be something else. Whether it's other peoples' reactions to your weight, ethnicity, sexual orientation, income or perceived social position, almost everyone can look back at something in their teen years that made them feel miserable for a time.



Plastic surgery may seem like an easy solution, but it's one you may regret once you leave the environment you've grown up in. America is a big, multiethnic place and lots of people have Asian and Caucasian parents. Unless you plan on staying in the community you live in, you'll almost certainly find that most people don't care about your ethnic heritage other than to find it interesting. It may even be an advantage.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

On some weird level I understand how you feel when people confuse you because they buy into the stereotypes. Your personal description of yourself sounds kinda pretty; its not like u look like the elephant man. Think carefully about why your doing it. I hope its not because of society and how the media push mainstream music/film industry like a religion, anorexic celebrity driven and how we should all strive for physical perfection. I know I might upset some ppl if I say this but this is the effect it has on a psychological subconscious level concerning how we should physically be. If it wasn閳ユ獩 4 the media %26amp; the Hollywood industry psychologically conditioning our brains to believe their definition of beauty; plastic surgeons would be broke. Ask yourself whether if u want to find a shallow man that will love you for your looks (%26amp; then leave u wen ur old %26amp; grey) or to find a man that will love you for who you are (personality, moral character, interests etc.). The truth is we live in a dominantly selfish, self centred, shallow, narcissistic state probably the main reason why so many marriages fail; whether u wish to become apart of that is up to u. Call me old fashion but personally it puts me off women if I find out they had plastic surgery its similar to shopping for fruit (on some freakish level); when u go 2 the grocery store would you prefer to buy a genetically modified (G.M) fruit that looks perfect but you know its less healthy (because of lack of nutrients inside the fruit); or buy an organic piece of fruit that doesn閳ユ獩 look perfect but you know its healthy from the inside because of the abundance of nutrients. I would prefer the natural fruit/women because most likely inside she閳ユ獨 mentally healthy %26amp; less insecure. Point being you should be proud %26amp; happy with yourself because of who u r on the inside %26amp; u shouldn閳ユ獩 give a damn about some shallow, narcissistic, ignorant prick that is spoon fed these stereotypes of how you should look; truth is ur unique (in a good way). Ask urself whether u want to attract shallow guys or not.



I'm half Japanese, and culturally confused -- can anyone help me?

No b/c thats what makes you beautiful.



I am half Brazilian and half Cajun (currenly living in New Orleans) WOOT !



I embrace both sides deeply.. but you cant tell by looking at me that i'm cajun. But it doesn't bother me.. b/c I know that I am.



I hope one day you'll realize how lucky you are. Its Kind of like... the clothing doesn't make the women.. the women makes the clothing... its the same thing... You getting that surgery .. wont make you anymore Japanese..

No comments:

Post a Comment